I couldn't help but compare this year to years past and think how wonderful this Christmas was for us. Was it that John was old enough to really get it? Was it that I'm pregnant with our sweet little girl? Was it that Jeff, John and I had two whole weeks off to do whatever we want together? I think yes to all of the above, but I think there was more. I have just had this sense of contentment and "this is right where we're suppose to be right now" . . . this overwhelming feeling of happiness and gratitude for my life and our life.
What I really liked about this year is that we really felt the Christmas spirit from the beginning of December all throughout the holidays. John and I sang Christmas songs every time we were in the car together. We decorated. We baked. Well okay, we bought bake and break cookies and ate them off the cookie sheet before they even cooled! I bought special Christmas projects which I thought would take hours and be tons of fun that
We spend every Christmas Eve at the Sponseller house and it is always such a special time. This year was especially wonderful because everyone was there to help celebrate. With everyone living all around the state and country it really is something when we can all be in the same place at the same time!
John made a special gift for all of his grandparents this year and although it might not be a great photo, Grandma Bert and Papa are looking through their "John and Us" photo book while John is being John!

Then we did what we do best, we opened gifts, ate some delicious food, talked, played, and had a blast!

Bernie got all her "big boys" remote control helicopters, Jeff opened his right away!

Here's Victoria and Me with our huge bellies!

The whole gang!



Baby Shannon even got some adorable gifts too!


One very special memory that I won't ever forget is driving home on Christmas Eve. John asked for me to sit next to him in the back seat, we opened the windows and looked at all of the beautiful Christmas lights the whole way home. John reached out and held my hand the whole time, every now and then pointing out "ohhh look Mommy!!!". It seriously melted my heart!
Then it was time for John to get into bed so we could wait for Santa to arrive and drop off all his gifts! Santa had left some special instructions for Mommy and Daddy to put one of John's gifts together. Fortunately Uncle Matt offered to help!


We were all up early the next morning and I was so excited to see all the gifts Santa had left for John!

John was excited too!



Thinking back it was such a wonderful morning! We took our time opening each present and then playing with it before moving on to the next one. John's genuine excitement and over the top reactions to everything made it all worth it. All the thinking and purchasing (some gifts were from Mommy and Daddy) and wrapping (all done by Jeff, I know your jealous, he's the best gift wrapper ever!), all of it was so so worth it!



One very fun gift was a big box with one small gift and full of packing popcorn. John did exactly what we were hoping he would!



Just when he thought all the fun was over we revealed the big present out on the lanai! He LOVED it!


Then I took a look at our floor, it was a beautiful sight!

We ate a yummy breakfast at home, let John take a nap and then headed over to Grandma Lois's for a wonderful afternoon and evening!
John waisted no time and started right in on the presents!




Kristen got us a very special gift that is now proudly up on our wall! We are going to have to update this photo once Shannon gets here!

We did manage to get one quick family photo, then it was right back to playing with all of the fun toys John got!

My mom planned a very fun snowman craft that we all had fun working on!


John also made "Grandma Lolus" a "John and Me" photo book, but I don't have a picture of it being opened. My mom loved it and proudly shows it off to anyone and everyone. I'm sure if you haven't already seen it you will someday soon!


We had a delicious dinner followed by yummy christmas cookies. We opened a few more gifts and headed home very full, very happy and very tired!
John just couldn't resist playing with his toys one more time before bedtime!

The next day John ran out of his room to get right back into playing with everything. We had big plans for the day but wound up staying pajamas till way after lunch time, it was perfect!



Oh it was wonderful! It was everything I imagined and more. It was what I wanted our Christmas to be with happy extra's here and there. And it really had nothing to do with the things we got or opened, it was all about being with the people we love the most. It was going to bed that night feeling the baby in my belly kicking away, knowing my little boy was tucked in bed sleeping away, and snuggling up next to my best friend in the whole world knowing that life is wonderful. Life is truly wonderful!
2 comments:
What wonderful memories we all had this Christmas. It brings tears to my eyes to read how happy you Jeff and Johnathan are. I am so thankful to have you all in my life. I share your thoughts on this Christmas. It is not about the gifts and the things around us it is all about the people and the arms around us. I LOVE my John and me book and do share it with everyone. I can't wait to meet Shannon! What a lucky girl she is to have a Mommy Daddy and brother like you.
Hugs and love, Grandma Lolus xoxoxo
love how happy john looked in each and every picture! what a great time! even more thrilled to know you guys are "right where you want to be!" Love it!
Post a Comment