Three years ago I was handed this 8lb. 7oz. wide-eyed, curious little boy and my world was forever changed. I had no idea how much I could love someone before John came along. I had no idea what it meant to see your heart walking outside your body before John. I just couldn't possibly understand how much better the world instantly became because of this little boy. And now, three years later, he is still wide-eyed and curious.
There are just too many ways in which John has changed and grown up to remember. He is no longer a baby and is quickly growing out of being a toddler too! He is our little boy, growing up so much every day. Not a day goes by that I don't marvel at how much he knows and says. I've tried to create a list of it all and I get stuck every time. We have come to a point where I can't just put "took first steps" with a date, the things John is doing are just so much more complex that than. His memory and his humor grow every day. He's actually come to a point where he can lie, which I'm not encouraging, but it's interesting to me. He is smart enough to know that he doesn't have to tell the truth AND to come up with a different story. That seems pretty smart to me. And he is funny, which is no easy task either. "Hey John are we having fun today or what?" "Or what Mommy, or what!! hahahah". John speaks to us in full sentences, paragraphs, and stories. We actually have fun conversations and boy does he have an imagination. He's also started to get a little camera shy, it usually passes with the "threat" of "do NOT smile at the camera, you will be in so much trouble if you smile, don't do it, doooon't do it!!" :) and then wouldn't you know it he smiles!
John was talking all about our day and the ice cold popsicle

Cheese!!

No pictures Mommy!!

At the gravel park getting ready to jump in!

Stopping for a quick snack

No pictures Mommy!!!

"Don't smile, don't you do it, NO smiling!"

Funny guy

John is a rough and tough boy who loves tractors, cars, motorcycles and anything that makes noise. He likes to get dirty and help Daddy no matter what he's doing. He is stubborn and knows what he wants to do. He is determined to get his way and will suffer any consequences to make sure he does what he wants. And yet, he is sweet and sensitive when it comes to certain things. He loves to snuggle on the couch and "squeezy hugs". He loves to say "I wuv yyyyooooouuuu!", whisper "secrets" and have our noses "kiss". He loves his quiet time to play on his own. And every night he likes to read the same books before going to bed.
John's car collection

Hard hat wearing tractor driving little boy

Helping Daddy clean the car, watch out!

That water's tough to control!

Stir up those bubbles!

Scrub scrub scrub the car!

Playing with his toys in the garage (oh and a cameo by "BB" for those of you who know what I mean!)

John is a good big brother to Shannon. He loves her in his quiet way and shows it the best way a 3 year old can . . . . by attempting to share his iPod, which I'm pretty sure means "you complete me" at their level. He shows concern if Shannon's upset and tries his best to interact with her. I think that they will "play" better once Shannon is able to sit/crawl/walk.
Here Shannon put your finger here!

One of our biggest challenges recently has been to get John potty trained. We are working on it daily and making big strides with some set-backs. John was VERY proud when he filled up his potty chart, we went to the toy store to celebrate and are now working on another chart. Again, his stubbornness and determination to get his way is slowing this process down, but we are trying to be very consistent with the praise and rewards for a good job done. I'm sure once John is ready to do his thing it will happen and in the meantime we will all work on our patience.
Yay for filing in the potty chart!

Sooooo proud!!!

Another challenge that we work on every day is what I like to call the "testing three's". Yes we had small bit of "terrible two's" but really they pale in comparison to what we are going through now. John is learning who he is, what he wants and again is proving that he is extremely determined and stubborn. Jeff and I often talk about what to do, how to discipline and reward, what works and what doesn't. We are learning along with John how to get through these some time tough days and often times the light at the end of the tunnel is that each day is a brand new start to try again. No matter what, even he makes bad decisions, we are sure to let John know how much we love him and that he is a good boy. We explain things to him in his terms and encourage better decisions. I think it became clear when he said to us "I'm gonna play with my toys, is that a good idea?" Since we always say to him that something is a good or bad idea.
An early morning movie as a reward for good behavior!

Of course baby sister Shannon got to join in too!

John, We love you so much! We hope you know there is nothing we won't do for you, to make you smile, to make you laugh, to teach you something, to make sure you are healthy or to make sure you are happy. You made us into a family and not a day goes by that we aren't grateful for you coming into our lives.
Jumping on the shaky bridge with Daddy close by!

Weeeeeeeeee!

Just the three of us!

Happy Birthday John!


2 comments:
You have such a beautiful space. Just perfect!
It's so amazing the way you have articulated the various phases in this post.
My son turned 3 on the 4th of July and I am working on a post just when I read yours. You've made the explanation so simple and I cant stop agreeing with you on so many points!
Congratulations on hitting the next milestone and all the best to brave the 3's!
Looking forward to many more reads from you. I am gonna pick up a lot of cues for sure! :D
Happy Birthday John!!!!
Love, Mimi Elmer
Post a Comment